Friday, August 1, 2008

The Dark Knight

There is so much to say about 'The Dark Knight' that I find myself wishing for unlimited space to write about it (oh, wait - I have a blog! well, maybe later...).

First, everything you have heard about Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker is true. His performance is profoundly disturbing, partly because of his extraordinary acting abilities and partly because writer/director Chris Nolan has quite purposefully provided him with conflicting back stories and omitted any hint of a motive, making the character less of a human villain and more an elemental force of chaos. The result is chilling and truly Oscar worthy.

If you have ever seen Nolan's earlier films ('Following', 'Memento', 'The Prestige'), you know that this is a man with a twisted and intricate mind who tells stories in a way that no other filmmaker does. If anything, he is even more deserving of an Oscar that Ledger, both as a director and a writer.

I have to stop now, but please - go see this movie. If 'Iron Man' was worth five stars, this one is a six.

(And Murray thought it was too long. Meh.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes quite good. It'll be ages before I can see it again on DVD. Unless my wife babysits again while I go see it. That may be a tad too selfish though. Even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd swear that the scriptwriting was channelling Alan Moore as much as Jeph Loeb in this film...not exactly the lines, but more in terms of the spirit of the content.

    ReplyDelete