Thursday, September 11, 2008

Greens Gone Wild

I personally think Buckdog has been a little over zealous in his attacks on Elizabeth May and the Green Party. And even he has more or less acknowledged that the audio of May on the "Canadians Are Stupid" YouTube video he embedded in his blog is taken badly out of context.

But c'mon, this is ridiculous:

From: John Bennett
To: leftdog@hushmail.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:37:56 -0600

Please be informed that the if the video

Canadians Are Stupid!" - Elizabeth May

is not removed from your site with the hour the Green Party of Canada will seek means to prevent legal proceedings further slander.

John Bennett
Director of Communications
Green Party of Canada


Not only is this a completely over the top response that looks suspiciously like suppression of free speech - it's not even proper English! Neither is their subsequent email responding to Buckdog's understandable "piss off":

You are knowingly asisting in slander get it down or you face legal action us & TVO.

Journalism is more than repeating. You have a responsibility to verify the facts.

Get get it down now.


Seriously, if their grammar, spelling and syntax aren't any better than that, I don't think I'd be too worried about the keen legal minds they've got working for them.

So, let's see. The Harper war room has been taken over by a bunch of Red Bull-crazed 20-somethings whose idea of cutting edge political strategy is puffin poop and insulting the parents of our war dead. The NDP think the multi-party system in this country is just fine and dandy as long as they're the only alternative party that gets to play. And now the Greens have apparently decided to emulate Harper's knee-jerk litigation approach to political debate.

If this keeps up, Dion might just win through attrition. This way to the Moral High Ground, boys!

6 comments:

  1. I don't recall Buckdog admitting that her comments were taken out of context. If you want the transcript I have it posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's get back to the election. I'm happy that Lizzie May will be in the debate - it's the right thing to do and Dion helped get it done.

    BUT, in my opinion, we are being distracted from the real target in this election who is Stephen Harper. Seconds and minutes are slipping away and we need to get on target. Pissing away precious moments like this will leave us with another Harper government and none of us needs or wants that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me making a rather generous interpretation of a comment that he made on the original post. In retrospect, I may have been too generous. But that's just me - always thinking the best of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb -

    Hear, hear! I'm frankly baffled and dismayed by all the vitriol being spewed between the Libs, Greens and NDP lately. Even suggesting that we're all more or less on the same side with a common enemy is likely to get me flamed into the dark ages on some blogs.

    It didn't use to be that way. I can only guess that the NDP are smelling Liberal blood in the water and are being driven mad with hunger and rage at the thought of taking their place as the Natural Ruling Party of Canada. And you know what? I'm good with that. I really am. Whatever.

    FIRST WE HAVE TO GET RID OF HARPER!

    I truly believe that the one thing Dion, Layton, May, and even many Conservatives have in common is that, in their own unique ways, they all want to do what's in the best interest of Canada and all Canadians.

    Harper, I'm convinced, does not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I posted the same video! Where's my fame and 15 minutes?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Raph - they're only gunning for Dippers this week.

    ReplyDelete