Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Home Again, Home Again: 1:00 A.M. Tuesday

I'm still processing everything I've seen today (yesterday, I guess), so I'll be saving most of my more coherent thoughts for tomorrow (today), after I've recovered from the six hours I just spent on the road.

For now, I have something to say to Stephen Harper:

Sir, you are an ass.

There were far more than "a couple of hundred" of us at Montebello today. I'm sorry if you found it "sad", but we just wanted to talk to our Prime Minister. You will not meet with us face to face. You will not allow our elected representatives into your meetings with foreign leaders and corporate executives. You won't even allow us to voice our concerns through the parliamentary committee set up to provide some semblance of oversight into the supposedly insignificant machinations of the SPP.

This is all we have left to us.

For now, here are a few photos from the front lines of Montebello:


The Raging Grannys arrive in Montebello. Everything is going to be... ok.


"United We Fall". Glad somebody knows why we're here.


Could they guys look any more like Storm Troopers? Maybe if we painted them white. I cannot tell you how disturbing it is seeing dozens and dozens of these guys lined up along the street in a small Canadian town. They even had then stationed around the cemetery.


Somebody get this man a Zippo! It took a while, but someone finally managed to set an American flag ablaze. Kinda. I'm convinced that they've started making the things out of asbestos.


The front line. My son was itching to get right up there and got downright surly when I wouldn't let him (sorry, kid - I'm still your mom). Still, we were only about 30 feet from the line. Until the first pepper spray incident happened. Then I dragged his ass back another ten feet, complaining all the way.

*******

Tomorrow I'm going to make my first attempt at posting video. Don't hold you're breath, though - I'm still on dial-up here. Maybe Garth can help.

Oh, and Garth? Thanks for the link, but screw you for digging up that photo of me! It was taken ten years and many, many pounds ago, and even then I indulged in a bit of PhotoShopping around the chin.

There's a reason I don't have a photo on my blog profile. Hmph.

*******

Quick edit: This is sheer genius. The acme of awesomeness. Alison RAWKS!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jennifer!

    This is coverage I saw nowhere else in the last three days.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks from me also, every perspective helps fpr those of us unable or unwill to join the fray!
    Have you visited Vive le Canada http://www.vivelecanada.ca/index.php they / we would love to hear more reports of your experiance and views about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching the news last night. City TV and CTV actually had coverage, and one of them (I forget which) even explained what SPP is. I'm glad you weren't gassed or arrested, and are home safe. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the experience.

    ReplyDelete