Friday, March 14, 2008

Definitely, Maybe

Given the number of ‘chick flicks’ I have seen since teaming up with Murray for this column, I like to think that I am a little better equipped to judge their relative merits than I was a year ago.

Some were terrific. Some were dreadful. ‘Definitely, Maybe’ was… ok.

I actually like Ryan Reynolds when he isn’t doing trashy frat house comedies. He reminds me a little of a young Robert Redford. And the ‘romantic lead with a charming comic twist’ is the perfect type of role for him, even if it does come off a bit like Ryan Reynolds Vehicle #7.

Unfortunately, ‘Definitely, Maybe’ is one of those movies that looks like it was cobbled together by a bunch of producers who told the writer, "That’s great! Now, if you could just write in a part for that little girl from ‘No Reservations’…"

Without the kid, it would have been merely formulaic. With her, it was gimmicky. Two and a half stars out of five.

(Not surprisingly, Murray liked it more than I did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment