Friday, April 13, 2007

Blades of Glory

I don’t hate Will Ferrell. I really don’t. I know that some people have an almost allergic reaction to his style of humour, but I’ve never found him that objectionable. I liked ‘Stranger Than Fiction’. I even enjoyed ‘Talladega Nights’.

I only have a problem with Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and other popular comics-turned-actors when they insist on making the same stupid movie over and over again.

‘Blades of Glory’ is funny, in the same way that thirteen year-old boys are funny. So was ‘Talladega Nights’, but that at least had the benefit of a well established sub-culture to satirize. ‘Blades’ is just Ricky Bobby on skates, and let’s face it: there simply aren’t enough people into figure skating to justify a whole movie making fun of them.

If you can’t get enough of gay jokes, vomiting drunks and people getting whacked in the gonads, this is the movie for you. I had my fill about ten minutes in, so I’m giving it two stars out of five.

(strangely enough, Murray disagrees)

No comments:

Post a Comment