Sunday, March 18, 2007

Zodiac

I’ve been looking forward to this movie for some time. Director David Fincher is the man behind ‘Se7en’ and ‘Fight Club’, and even though I wasn’t expecting anything quite that brilliant I was eager to see what he was going to do with one of the biggest unsolved murder mysteries since Jack the Ripper.

‘Zodiac’ is a pretty good movie. I enjoyed it. The subject matter is fascinating and the look of the film is just gorgeous. It is quite long and tends to drag a bit in the first half, but given the complexity of the case I’m not sure what could have been cut without leaving out key information.

And yet… I can’t help but feel a little disappointed. I hate to say it, but I expected something a bit less straightforward from Fincher. Something with a bit of a twist. The movie had some interesting things to say about the nature of obsession, but other than that it was just a somewhat above average serial killer movie.

3 stars out of five.

(for Murray Townsend's take, read our column at The Milton Champion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment