Friday, February 16, 2007

Because I Said So

I kept having the nagging feeling I had seen this movie before. At first I thought it was just a flashback to when my mother tried to fix me up with a banker. Then I started to wonder if it was a remake of some old Katharine Hepburn / Cary Grant movie.

I finally realized it was just the formula that was familiar.

Romantic Farce #47b: Girl can’t find husband because she (hates men / dresses badly / snorts when she laughs), so Domineering Mother secretly sets her up with Upstanding Man A who is a (banker / lawyer / architect), but Girl falls instead for Unsuitable Man B who is a (teacher / artist / musician). Men don’t know about each other. Girl doesn’t know about set-up. Hilarity ensues.

The worst part was watching poor Diane Keaton having to force a laugh by either wrestling with some infernal piece of technology or getting cake all over her. The relationship between her and Stephen Collins was sweet, but otherwise it was just one cliché after another.

* 1/2 out of five. The half is for Stephen Collins.

(to see what Murray Townsend thought of it, read our column in The Milton Champion)

No comments:

Post a Comment