Saturday, August 1, 2009

When in Doubt, Play the Nativist Card

I've only been paying marginal attention to the whole 'Birther' thing going on in the U.S. just because... well, it's silly bordering on insane. Like flat-earthers, or 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

But then I read the recent poll by DailyKos showing that a staggering 58% of U.S. Republicans (and it's pretty much all Republicans, and pretty much all Southerners) either fully deny or aren't sure that President Obama is actually a real, legitimate American Citizen. And as much as I like to think nothing about Conservative America can surprise me anymore, I was completely floored. Seriously, are these people really, truly as stupid and delusional as we've always suspected?

Apparently so.

I'd love to believe that this is a purely American phenomenon. And yet, I can't help but compare this strategy (and have no doubt that it is a political strategy) to the Canadian Conservative Party's strategy of questioning the 'Canadian-ness' of Michael Ignatieff because of the amount of time he's spent off Canadian soil.

Ponder that for a moment.

1 comment:

  1. Canadain conservative = American republican
    Both operate on a very narrow spectrum without wanting or unable to think out of the box they live in. Having lived in the southern states for several years I can see how much alike the Canadain conseratives are like the American southern republicans.

    ReplyDelete