Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Speaking ill of the dead

I'm not the kind of person who would intentionally harm or wish to harm anyone. I've certainly never wished anybody dead, with the possible exception of a certain landlord who truly deserves to be found floating face down in the Mill Pond.

I'm a little conflicted over the news of Jerry Falwell's death today.


On the one hand, he wasn't quite as insane as Pat Robertson. Nor was he as deliberately evil as Ed Phelps. On the other hand... this is the guy who is personally responsible for the intrusion of the Religious Right into American politics, and the resulting mainstream acceptance of intolerance, hatred and murder for the past quarter century.

All I can say is this:

Jerry, I hope your God forgives you.

I, for one, will not.

No comments:

Post a Comment